Patron Research Request Services
I.G.S.W., Irish Emigration Library
Due to many requests from members who are unable to visit the Irish Emigration Library in person, the volunteers who staff the library each Wednesday have agreed to initiate a limited "look up" service. This service is being offered for IGSW members only at this time.
Click here for a Research Request Form that may be printed. In addition to general information on patrons requesting the service, the form has spaces for helpful information on the person or place to be researched. State your research problem as explicitly as possible and send along pertinent information that will assist the researcher. We will make every effort to fulfill your request. The fee is $4 per search. Fees are nonrefundable.
Listed below are the Seven Searches we offer. Read them carefully and select one or more searches that interest you. We hope to respond within three to six weeks, depending upon the volume of requests. (We are a small group of volunteers!).
~~ The Library Committee of the Irish Emigration Library
This search is structured to identify the six major administrative divisions (county, barony, civil parish, diocese, poor law union and probate) as well as the location of churches and graveyards if a parish or townland is known. Four major resources, including three books by Brian Mitchell are used:
1) General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland (includes Ordnance Survey Map numbers)
2) Guide to Irish Parish Registers (earliest dates, all denominations)
3) Guide to Irish Churches and Graveyards (location of all denominations)
4) New Genealogical Atlas of Ireland (maps of major administrative divisions)
The Index of Milwaukee County Naturalization Records of Irish Born From 1836 to 1890 by Josephine Christon.
1) US Census Index - Here you must specify three contiguous or non contiguous census years between 1790 and 1920 (There is no 1890 census, nor are all states covered 1900-1920.) If you specify a State we will also search CDs dedicated to that state and year.
2) Ireland Census Index - Dublin City 1851, Ireland 1831 (Co. Londonderry), 1841 (Co. Cavan), Surviving Census Records of the 1851 Census.
3) United Kingdom Census Index - British Census 1851, 1881
4) Canadian Census Index - Canadian Census 1881
Index to Griffith's Valuation - This is an evaluation of land for tax purposes conducted between 1848 and 1864. The CD yields the full name of the householder, his county, parish and townland of residence.
Tithe Applotment records were levied in the 1823 - 1838 period. There are three resources available at our library.
1) Index of Tithe Applotment for Northern Ireland - Counties Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh, and Tyrone.
2) Index of Tithe Applotment for County Longford
3) List of Tithe Defaulters - Counties Carlow, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford, and Wicklow
Index to Ontario Land Records - This is an index on microfiche of the original transaction with settlers on the Ontario Crown Lands. It also includes Peter Robinson settlers and those who leased or purchased land through the Canada Land Company.
In addition to the above resources you may select any two CDs from our extensive collection. Here you may wish to further refine your research goal. You may review our CD collection. You may print this listing. Excluded are Grenham's Irish Surnames and Grenham's Irish Record Finder.